Monday, September 13, 2010

SOUP - Pros and Cons

I have bad-mouthed soup so many times because liquids like soup generally provide little or no satiety for a bandster, but I'm eating (without chewing) my words now. After a year of experimentation, I finally concluded that I just cannot eat solid food when I'm at work. Usually I have a 15 minute break, but even when I work a longer shift and get a longer break, I'm just too distracted, pressured, anxious or whatever to eat solid or even soft food. I get stuck or PB and have to stop eating even though my tummy is still grumbling and/or I haven't had enough fuel to power me through the rest of my work day. So this past week, I tried several instant soups (you just open them and microwave them) with Unjury chicken soup protein powder mixed into them. The tomato soup was fine, but I was starving hungry an hour later. Creamy chicken soup and Italian wedding soup worked very well. So I decided it's worthwhile to make my own soup (thereby reducing the sodium content) to take to work for lunch. My first project was a barley and veggy soup. Barley is a whole grain that's soft but chewy when cooked, and goodness knows I need all the veggies I can get. We had this soup for supper tonight and it was great!

1 comment:

Tina said...

I have found chili, stews and lentil soups (hearty basically) work well at walking a middle ground between ease of eating and sticking long enough to keep me satisfied.

I will try your recipe soon! :)