Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Caramel Apple Yogurt Dessert

Yoplait has a new flavor (new to my area, anyway) called Apple Turnover. One day I was inspired to chop a few apple slices and mix them into this yogurt, with great results. But I really prefer the flavor and the thick, creamy consistency (to say nothing of the higher protein content) of Oikos 0% plain yogurt, so I did this mixture, with even better results:

4 oz. plain Greek yogurt (or 4 oz. Oikos 0% with honey)
1/4 of an apple, peeled and diced (if you can't eat apple at all, try no-sugar-added applesauce)
sweetener to taste (optional)
1 tablespoon sugar-free caramel sauce
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts (optional)

Adding the raw apple and nuts to the yogurt gives you something to chew, plus some fiber and healthy fats, and that results in greater satiety from a small portion of food. Gotta love that! You could skip the caramel sauce but I happen to love caramel and it turns the yogurt into a desserty treat.

No comments: