Friday, February 5, 2010

Chicken Smush

Smush is my husband's term for a mixture of meat, veggies and creamy gravy. He likes it over toast, noodles, rice, barley, pizza crust or in pot pies. When I roast a whole chicken, we eat some of it and I take the rest of the meat off the carcass, chop it into about 2 cups of (small) bite-size pieces, combine it with thawed frozen mixed veggies (or leftover cooked) veggies, and white sauce. I either make the sauce from scratch or use a can of cream of chicken, celery or mushroom soup diluted with 1/2 can of chicken broth, skim milk, white wine, or water. Sometimes I throw in shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese. I put the smush into plastic freezer containers and store them in the freezer until the next time I need a quick dinner. I thaw the smush, heat it, and put it on some kind of starch for my husband (see above) or in a bowl for me.
I almost never measure the quantities when making this stuff. I think I could make it with my eyes closed.

No comments: